The cold and flu season is in full swing. Here are some tips to avoid getting sick and to get some relief if you do catch a nasty bug.
Tips to avoid the cold and flu:
- Eat yogurt. The live cultures help prevent colds.
- Grab some fresh air. Circulate some fresh air into the room. This creates a more difficult environment for viruses.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Wash your hands often.
- Eat mushrooms. Cooked shiitake mushrooms boost the immune system.
- Tap your chest. There is an acupressure point in the middle of your breastbone at the level of the third rib. Tapping gently for a minute, every couple of hours, boosts the body’s immune system.
- Get a flu shot. Flu shots do not cause the flu. They may give you some flu like symptoms for a couple of days, but it is a small price to pay for a full onslaught of the flu and its complications.
- Keep stress to a minimum. Social activities, exercise, prayer, and meditation can keep your immune system strong.
Cold and flu relief tips:
- Get a prescription for Tamiflu as soon as possible.
- Zinc lozenges can reduce the time period you have the flu. Take as soon as you feel the virus coming on.
- Use a humidifier. Moist air helps soothe sore throats and hacking coughs.
- Drink chicken soup. Yes, Mom knew what she was talking about.
- Drink extra liquids. Water helps thinning mucous and flushes the system.
- Rest or sleep at a 45 degree angle. This will help keep mucous from your sinuses and reduces inflammation.
- Avoid dairy products. They tend to thicken and increase mucous.
- Avoid sugary products which weaken the immune system.
- Eucalyptus aromatherapy can clear breathing and ease a fever
Want to read more?
- Cold and flu alternative therapies
- Alternative Medicines for the cold and flu
- Senior Flu Prevention
- Mayo Clinic
- Center for Disease Control